Peanut Butter Tofu Salad Sandwich
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Tofu often gets a bad rap as boring, but it’s loaded with protein and isoflavones, and can actually help lower your cholesterol. Properly prepared, it’s also a delicious ingredient, regardless of whether you swing herbivore or carnivore.
This salad is a symphony of textures and flavors, with bits of crunchy peanuts and crispy celery, enveloped in a nutty mélange of tofu and peanut butter. Salty capers, spicy onions, and vibrant lemon zest all serve to accent the salad with both colors and flavors.
The keys to getting a rich creamy texture are to drain as much water out of the tofu as possible, and then to thoroughly mix the tofu together with the peanut butter and olive oil.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
Yield: 4 sandwiches
1 (12-ounce) pack firm tofu
1/4 cup Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion (about 1/4 small onion)
2 tablespoons finely diced celery (about 1/2 a stalk)
2 tablespoons minced parsley
2 tablespoons minced parsley
2 teaspoons capers
zest of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon lemon juice (about half a lemon)
1/2 teaspoon salt
black pepper to taste
4 sandwich rolls
4 lettuce leaves
1. Put the tofu in a pot and cover with water. Heat over medium-high heat until the tofu is hot (about 10 minutes). Crumble the tofu into a strainer, place a small plate on top of the tofu as a weight and allow it to drain for at least 2 hours.
2. If you have some clean cotton muslin, you can skip the draining and squeeze the water out instead. Just allow the tofu to cool enough to handle, then put the tofu in the center of the cloth and gather up the edges, wringing out as much water as you can.
3. Place the drained tofu in a bowl along with the peanut butter and olive oil. Use a spatula to mash and stir the tofu and peanut butter together until it reaches a relatively smooth, fluffy consistency and there are no chunks of tofu remaining (though there will be chunks of peanuts).
4. Add the onions, celery, parsley, capers, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and then stir to combine. Taste the salad and adjust the salt and pepper to suit your tastes.
5. To assemble your sandwich, open up your rolls, put a leaf of lettuce on the roll, scoop a quarter of the tofu salad onto the lettuce, and then cover with the top of the roll.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Marc combines peanut butter with tofu in this salad recipe. In what other ways would you use peanut butter with tofu?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, September 30 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 10/03/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.