Peanut Butter Apple Coffee Cake
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
My good friend, Kelly, from The Spunky Coconut inspired this dish with her Blueberry Coffee Cake. I wanted to make something not only gluten-free but grain-free for all those who can’t tolerate grains. As a bonus, it’s dairy-free too.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 (9-inch round) coffee cake; 8-10 servings
For the crumble topping
1 cup walnuts
1 1/2 tablespoons coconut oil
3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
For the coffee cake
3 large eggs, at room temperature
3/4 cup grate apple, with the peel on
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
1/4 cup neutral flavored oil, such as canola or grapeseed
1/4 cup unsweetened organic applesauce
1/4 teaspoon liquid vanilla stevia
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup tapioca flour
1 teaspoon baking sodae
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Make the crumble topping
Put the walnuts, coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Pulse several times to combine then process until walnuts are finely ground. Don’t over-process or you’ll have walnut butter. Set aside.
Make the coffee cake
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round ceramic baking dish.
2. Use a handheld mixer to beat together the eggs, grated apple, Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter, honey, oil, applesauce and stevia until combined.
3. Sift together the almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until smooth. Turn batter into prepared ceramic baking dish.
5. Spread crumble topping over cake batter. Use a knife to swirl the topping into the cake. Press topping down into the batter. Bake for 30 minutes, then cover with aluminum foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
6. Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Store covered at room temperature.
Besides apple, what other fruits would pair well with Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter in a coffee cake recipe? Leave a comment below and on Monday, July 30, 2012 we’ll choose a random commenter to win a 16oz jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy, the peanut butter used in this recipe! US residents only.
The random winner is Rebecca.