VIDEO RECIPE: Vegan Peanut Butter Chickpea Burger
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
This vegan burger uses flaxseed as an egg substitute to hold together the ingredients for these patties. It’s made with ground oats, chickpeas, bell peppers and peanut butter and is seasoned with flavorful Moroccan spices, harissa (a Morocca chili paste) and ras el hanout.
Serve these burgers falafel-style — in pita stuffed with cucumber slices and tahini sauce.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: about 8-10 Burgers
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
¼ cup water
1 cup rolled oats
2 (15.5-ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 red bell pepper, seeds and stem removed, coarsely chopped
⅓ cup fresh mint leaves
Zest and juice from one lemon
2 large garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ras el hanout (use one that is a little sweeter with more cinnamon flavors and little-to-no turmeric/curry)*
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon harissa paste
½ cup Mighty Maple peanut butter
3 tablespoons olive oil
kosher salt and black pepper
For serving: pita bread, cucumber slices, tahini sauce
* The ras el hanout can be found in specialty food stores and gourmet shops or online at Amazon or Penzey’s. Or you may omit it and just add an extra teaspoon of cumin.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Combine flax seeds and water in a small cup and whisk together. Set aside.
3. Place oats in a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Add half the chickpeas, bell pepper, mint, lemon zest and juice, garlic, spices, harissa, peanut butter, olive oil, and flax mixture, and process again until smooth.
4. Transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining chickpeas, and season to taste.
5. Use an ice cream scoop to place the batter onto the prepared baking sheet (about 6 burgers per sheet), and press slightly with hands to form burger-shaped patties.
6. Bake 15 minutes, then use a spatula to gently flip and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until golden and crisp around the edges.
7. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
8. Serve on pita bread with fresh cucumber slices, lettuce, and tahini sauce.