VIDEO RECIPE: Peanut Butter Strawberry Shortcakes
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
This recipe gets two doses of peanut butter: one in the biscuit and another in the whipped cream!
Piled high with layers of peanut buttery shortbread, sweet strawberries soaked in sugar and lemon, fresh whipped cream, and roasted peanuts this is one simply irresistible dessert.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the shortcakes:
1½ cups unbleached all purpose flour
¼ cup granulated sugar
1½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
¼ cup heavy cream
½ cup Mighty Maple peanut butter
2 teaspoons melted unsalted butter
2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
For the filling:
2 pints strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
¼ cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ lemon, juiced
For the whipped cream:
½ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons Mighty Maple peanut butter
Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk together the flour, sugar powder, and salt into a medium bowl. Add butter and use a pastry cutter to cut butter into flour until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
3. Stir in the cream and peanut butter, mixing until it comes together into a dough.
4. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Knead the dough a few times. Use a rolling pin to roll into a 1-inch thick round. Using a 2 ½-inch biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits and place 1 inch apart on the prepared pan. Press scraps together lightly and repeat to use all the dough.
5. Brush the cakes with melted butter and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake 18-20 minutes, or until slightly golden brown. Cool completely on the pan.
6. While the cake bakes, combine strawberry filling ingredients and let sit.
7. Whip cream and peanut butter.
8. Cut cakes in half and layer with filling and whipped cream topping. Sprinkle with roasted peanuts.