VIDEO RECIPE: Peanut Butter Barbecue Chicken
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
If you’re a peanut butter lover, then this made from scratch barbecue sauce is for you! The honey flavor of The Bee’s Knees peanut butter plays well with the molasses and additional honey for that sweet barbecue flavor.
The sauce works great on the chicken whether you broil it in the oven or cook it on a barbecue grill. Try it out this 4th of July or for your next summer cookout.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Yield: 3 cups sauce
1 large Spanish onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups tomato puree
¼ cup organic ketchup
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup molasses
¼ cup honey
½ teaspoon allspice
3 chipotle in adobo sauce (from can)
1 cup water
⅓ cup The Bee’s Knees peanut butter
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks (bone-in with skin)
Kosher salt and black pepper
1. Heat oil in a medium large pot and add onions. Cook 3-4 minutes until soft, then add garlic.
2. Add tomato puree, ketchup, vinegar, molasses, honey, allspice, chipotles, and 1 cup water, stir well, and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
3. Add the peanut butter to the mixture and then using an immersion blender, puree until smooth. (You may also use a blender or food processor.) Season to taste with salt and ground pepper.
4. Season chicken well with kosher salt and black pepper, and place on baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Baste with barbecue sauce. Broil 5 minutes then flip and broil 10 more minutes.
5. Remove from oven, baste with more sauce and return to broiler for 2-3 minutes just to set the sauce.
6. Serve with additional sauce.