VIDEO RECIPE: Peanut Butter Apple Tarte Tatin
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Active Cook time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 sheet all-butter frozen puff pastry (such as Dufour), thawed
1/3 cup Mighty Maple peanut butter
6 medium tart apples (such as Granny Smith), peeled, cored, and quartered
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Creme fraiche or ice cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Sprinkle work surface generously with flour. Roll out pastry sheet into an 11″ square. Fit a 10″ plate or pan in the center and use a pastry cutter or sharp knife to trace and cut a circle of dough. Transfer the circle of dough to a flour-dusted pastry sheet.
3. Warm peanut butter in microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted and smooth. Spread over the circle of dough, then place dough in refrigerator to chill.
4. Prepare the filling: Place a heavy 10″ cast iron skillet over medium heat and melt butter. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and kosher salt, and stir (mixture will be gritty).
5. Arrange the apple quarters in the pan, curved side down (it’s ok if some overlap; they will shrink down as they cook).
6. Let apples simmer without stirring for 15-20 minutes, or until caramel darkens and thickens, then transfer to oven and bake for 15 minutes.
7. Remove apples from oven, and invert chilled dough circle, peanut butter-side down, over the apples, tucking in the edges so the entire crust is inside the skillet.
8. Return to oven for 20-25 minutes, or until pastry is puffed and golden brown. Place skillet on a rack to chill for at least 10 minutes and up to 30.
9. To serve, run a knife around the edge of the pastry and top with an inverted platter. Use potholders to quickly flip the tart over onto the serving dish. Remove the skillet and use a spoon to replace any apples that remained in the pan.
10. Serve warm with creme fraiche or ice cream.