Thai Peanut Risotto
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
I took some of my favorite ingredients that are used in a lot of Thai cooking and added them to this risotto along with a healthy sweet potato and some cremini mushrooms. It is a healthful dish, and full of flavor. Any peanut butter lover is sure to love it!
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced or grated
pinch of salt and pepper
1/4 cup Thai red curry paste
1/4 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 sweet potato, chopped (peeled if desired)
4 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (lite or regular)
4 cups chicken broth
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
1/4 cup peanuts, chopped, for garnish
1. Heat a large saucepan or a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add in peanut oil, then add the ginger and garlic with a pinch of salt. Stir to coat and cook for 30 seconds. Add the Thai red curry paste, peanut butter, smoked paprika, and brown sugar, stirring into a thick paste. Cook for another minute. Add the rice, sweet potato and mushrooms, stirring to coat. Cook for about 3 minutes, stirring 2-3 times until the rice is translucent; if things are sticking add another tablespoon of peanut oil. Reduce heat to medium-low and add in the soy sauce and coconut milk. Continue to stir as the rice absorbs the soy sauce. When most of it is absorbed, add in about 1/3 of the chicken broth. Repeat the process, continuously stirring until the broth is absorbed, then add another 1/3 of the broth. Repeat until all of the broth is used and absorbed and the rice and sweet potatoes are cooked. The whole process will take about 30 minutes. If the rice is still too chewy and dense, add more liquid, stirring again until absorbed.
2. Add the lime juice, stirring until incorporated.
3. To serve, plate the risotto and garnish with fresh chopped cilantro and peanuts. Serve immediately!
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Tieghan uses risotto in this recipe. What other grains would you pair this coconut based peanut sauce with?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, February 24, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 02/27/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.