Pumpkin Edamame Kabocha Salad
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Together with vibrant green edamame, this salad makes for a delicious side to a holiday meal with its medley of colors, textures and flavors. The earthy kabocha starts to melt into the nutty peanut butter as you stir it, making a rich creamy mash that coats the remaining chunks of pumpkin and edamame.
While many upscale grocery stores carry kabocha pumpkins this time of year, if you’re not able to find them, you can substitute butternut squash or sweet potatoes for the kabocha. Edamame can be found in the frozen food section of most grocery stores, but if you can’t find them, fresh chickpeas or fava beans make good alternatives.
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
kabocha pumpkin (27 ounces, half of a large one)
edamame (14 ounces whole, 7 ounces shelled)
1/4 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 tablespoon soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds from the kabocha, and then use a peeler to peel the green skin. Use a heavy knife to cut the kabocha into 2” chunks.
3. Add the kabocha to the boiling water and boil until it’s tender enough to pass a fork through (about 10 minutes). Be careful not to over-cook them, as they will absorb a lot of water and turn to mush.
4. While the kabocha is cooking, prepare the edamame according to the package directions. Some come pre-cooked so you just need to thaw them in warm water. Shell the edamame into a bowl and add the peanut butter, mayonnaise and soy sauce.
5. When the kabocha is cooked, drain them in a colander and add them in with the edamame while they’re still hot. Use a spatula to stir everything together, and it’s okay if the pumpkin gets a little mashed. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
6. You can serve it warm, or let it cool to room temperature and put it in the fridge.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
In this recipe Marc makes an innovative pumpkin salad with peanut butter. What favorite pumpkin recipe of yours would you consider adding peanut butter to?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, November 25, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 11/28/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.