Peanut Buttery Sweet Potato, Spinach & Mushroom Stew
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Yield: 4-6 servings
1 onion, peeled and chopped
4 tablespoons/60ml peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 teaspoons/10ml grated root ginger
1/4 teaspoon/1.25ml cayenne pepper
12 ounces/350g sweet potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon/15ml mild curry paste
3 tablespoons/45ml tomato purée
About 2 cups/500ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon/15ml brown sugar
8 ounces/225g mushrooms, quartered
8 ounces/225g spinach leaves, washed and trimmed
1/4 cup/60ml Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter
2 tablespoons/30ml heavy/whipping cream (optional)
2 tablespoons/30 ml coriander, chopped
salt and pepper, to taste
coriander sprigs, for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, garlic, ginger and cayenne and fry gently for 10 minutes.
2. Add the curry paste to the onion mixture and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Add the sweet potatoes, stir to coat with the onion mixture, and fry for 3-4 minutes.
3. Mix the tomato purée and sugar with the stock and add to the saucepan. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sweet potatoes are almost tender.
4. Roughly shred the spinach leaves. Add the mushrooms and spinach to the stew and cook for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are cooked through.
5. Mix a few spoonfuls of the stew juices with the peanut butter to soften it, and then add to the vegetables. To take the edge off the curry even more, you can add some heavy cream.
6. Add the coriander, season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with coriander sprigs.
Serving Suggestion: Rice is ideal for this dish, since it soaks up all the sauce and flavor!
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other kinds of vegetables would you want to add to this peanut butter stew?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Smooth, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, November 10th, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 11/17/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Old Fashioned Smooth peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Peanut Buttery Sweet Potato, Spinach & Mushroom Stew appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.