Peanut Butter & Oat Carrot Cake Breakfast Pudding with Candied Oats
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
This recipe is one of six recipes developed by noted food bloggers for the Peanut Butter & Co. and Bob’s Red Mill Nuts About Oats Recipe Contest. The recipes were created using Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter and Bob’s Red Mill® Extra Thick Rolled Oats. The contest was a part of our 2012 yearlong initiative “Build a Better Breakfast with Peanut Butter.”
The great thing about breakfast is that both savory and sweet inspiration work well. Carrot cake inspired this dish, but even so, it’s full of healthy things and only subtly sweetened; really I based it on carrot cake just so I could get an extra veggie in at breakfast.
For this recipe I made coconut milk by blending shredded unsweetened coconut with water. I left the coconut bits in the milk (to give the pudding more texture)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
For the pudding
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut*
4 1/4 cups hot water
1/2 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Mighty Maple peanut butter, divided
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill® Extra Thick Rolled Oats
2 tablespoons arrowroot starch/flour*
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons whole brown flaxseed*
1 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
2 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste, divided
For the candied oats
2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 pinch coarse salt
1/3 cup Bob’s Red Mill® Extra Thick Rolled Oats
*Also available from Bob’s Red Mill
1. Put the coconut and water into a blender; put the lid on but take out the small plastic insert (so steam can escape), put a towel on top, and process for 2 minutes while holding the lid down. Transfer 3 tablespoons of coconut milk to a medium bowl, then transfer 2 cups to a medium saucepan, leaving the rest (about 2 cups) in the blender.
2. To the bowl with the 3 tablespoons coconut milk, whisk in 1/4 cup peanut butter, 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla bean paste; set aside.
3. To the blender, add the remaining 1/4 cup peanut butter, oats, arrowroot starch, maple syrup, flaxseed, remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and salt; process until smooth, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as necessary.
4. Transfer the oat mixture to the saucepan that you put the 2 cups of coconut milk into, and stir in the carrot; bring to a boil over medium heat and then cook until thickened, about 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Stir in the remaining 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste and pour the pudding into 6 individual serving dishes; top pudding evenly with the peanut butter coconut topping.
5. Serve warm or chilled, with the candied oats sprinkled on top.
For the candied oats
Heat the coconut oil, maple syrup, water, vanilla bean paste, cinnamon, and salt over medium heat in a small-medium saucepan until it bubbles. Stir in the oats and cook until the liquid is mostly gone and the oats are completely coated, about 2 to 4 minutes. Spread in a single layer on wax paper and cool to room temperature.
The post Peanut Butter & Oat Carrot Cake Breakfast Pudding with Candied Oats appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.