Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
I’ve been making these peanut butter cupcakes for years. They are unbelievably soft and moist, which is in part because of the brown sugar and 2 eggs in the batter. They are loaded with peanut butter flavor too. The frosting is legendary. It’s thick and tastes identical to salty caramel corn, but in creamy dreamy frosting form.
I adorned the finished cupcakes with green sprinkles, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes
1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 tablespoons milk
For the frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
3-4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3/4 cup light brown sugar
additional pinch of salt, as needed
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12-cup muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. With a handheld or stand mixer, cream together the peanut butter, butter, and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in vanilla.
4. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the milk, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix.
5. Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake tins. Bake for 23-26 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool.
6. While the cupcakes are cooling, melt the butter in a small saucepan. Once melted, add brown sugar and heavy cream. Stir constantly over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Add salt.
7. Allow to bubble for 3 full minutes, no more. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Do not place in the refrigerator to cool. With a hand mixer at medium speed, beat in powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. I used 4 cups. Add more salt if the frosting tastes too sweet.
8. Frost cooled cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.
*Extra frosting can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Allow it to come to room temperature again before frosting anything.
Cupcakes stay fresh in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other dish to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day would you possibly add peanut butter to?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter, the jar used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, March 18, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 03/21/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.