Peanut Butter & Chocolate Meringues
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Have you had a meringue? It’s one of the most unique desserts I’ve both made as well as tasted. It’s got a crunchy exterior and a soft interior with and ‘airy’ quality to them. They are a great sweet treat that’s not overly sweet or too heavy. They’d be an excellent way to finish off a meal with either a warm or cold drink. In the wintertime heat up a cup of tea to have alongside or in the summer enjoy these with a cup of your favorite iced coffee!
Cook time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Total Weight Watchers SmartPoints® Value: 3 per meringue.
1 cup liquid egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Cocoa peanut powder
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 250. Prep two cookie sheets covered with parchment.
- 2. In stand mixer, add egg whites and pinch of cream of tartar. Beat on high for approximately 1 minute; whites will become very frothy and start to rise.
- 3. Keep motor running and gradually add sugar and then continue beating for approximately 5 minutes. Continue to keep the motor running and gradually add powdered sugar; continue beating for 8-10 minutes or until very stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy-looking. (While you just let the mixer go for 8 minutes, melt your peanut butter and chocolate chips, separately. You want them melted, but not over hot).
- 4. Move egg white mixture to medium mixing bowl and carefully fold in prepared Peanut Butter & Co. Cocoa peanut powder. Take large spoon or slightly rounded spatula and slowly and gently make a circular motion around the egg whites.
- 5. Take large rounded scoops and place on cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Place in the oven and drop the temperature down to 200. Let bake for 1 hour – 1 hour 20 minutes. Meringues should be firm to the touch and soft on the inside.
- 6. Let cool slowly – just leave them on the cookie sheet for a bit. Then remove and let cool on a cooling rack. Store in airtight container for approximately 2-3 days.
WEIGHT WATCHERS for services and SmartPoints are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers International, Inc. Trademarks are used with permission by Peanut Butter & Co.