Peanut Butter Cheese Cracker Sandwiches (gluten-free)
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Homemade cheese crackers are fun to make and so much better than the store bought kind! This version is gluten-free and has an amazing texture that you don’t usually find with gluten-free baked goods.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes (includes chilling time)
Yield: 40-45 sandwiches
2 cups almond flour or almond meal*
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons butter
2 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 teaspoons coconut flour
Gluten-free flour for rolling out the dough
1/3 – 1/2 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
*Please note that almond flour brands vary wildly and weighing almond flour is highly recommended.
1. Process the almond flour, salt, baking powder, egg, butter, cheddar and coconut flour in the bowl of your food processor until a ball forms.
2. Place this ball onto a sheet of plastic wrap, flatten the ball with your hands and cover it with the plastic wrap.
3. Place this in the freezer for one hour so that rolling out the dough will be easier.
4. Sprinkle a silicone baking mat or a piece of parchment paper generously with gluten-free flour (a gluten-free baking mix or more almond flour).
5. Take a fourth of the dough and roll it out to 1/16″. Cut the dough however you wish. I used a ravioli cutter but a pizza cutter or a knife would also work. I cut mine into 1” squares. (If you find it difficult to remove the cheese crackers from the baking mat, place the baking mat in the freezer for about 5 minutes.)
6. Place the cheese crackers on a baking sheet or another silicone baking mat, leaving just a little room between each cracker. If you like things salty, lightly salt the crackers. Using the tip of a kitchen thermometer or any implement with a sharp tip, poke a decorative hole in the center of each cracker. (This is optional.)
7. Bake for 12 minutes or until they start to turn golden around the edges. The crackers will harden as they cool so if they’re soft – don’t worry. Let the crackers cool and repeat the process with the rest of the dough. Once the crackers have completely cooled, spread about half a teaspoon of peanut butter between two crackers.
8. Store in an airtight container for up to two weeks. The crackers will stay crisp, even with peanut butter in the middle.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
This recipe is a homemade take on those packaged orange cheese crackers with the peanut butter in the middle. What other store bought packaged snacks with peanut butter did you enjoy snacking on as a child?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, September 9 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 09/12/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Peanut Butter Cheese Cracker Sandwiches (gluten-free) appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.