Peanut Butter Billionaire’s Shortbread
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
But of course, with inflation being what it is, why stop at a million when you can have a billion? And so I present Peanut Butter Billionaire’s Shortbread, wherein two types of peanut butter is added to it and its awesome quotient is upped exponentially.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 36 bite-sized portions
For the shortbread layer
1 1/2 cups cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 sticks butter, softened
3 tablespoons Smooth Operator peanut butter
For the middle layer
1/2 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
10 ounces thick caramel sauce or Cajeta (Mexican Milk Caramel)
For the top layer
1 big bar (4 ounces) dark chocolate (I used Ghirardelli 60% dark)
1/4 cup Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the 3 tablespoons of peanut butter and mix only until incorporated. Add the flour last, mixing only until you can clump the dough together to form a ball.
3. Press this sandy shortbread mixture into a 9-inch square pan that has been greased and the bottom lined with parchment paper; smooth it with either your hands or a spatula. Pierce it with a fork.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes until it is pale golden and has a dull finish on top.
5. Melt 1/2 cup of Smooth Operator peanut butter so that it is pourable. Pour on top of the shortbread layer, and gently spread over the peanut butter layer.
6. In a deep microwave safe bowl, or over the stovetop, gently heat your caramel or cajeta until it is pourable but still thick. Pour evenly over the shortbread in a zigzag pattern, so that you can easily spread it to cover the peanut butter without disturbing the even coverage over the shortbread. If these two caramel and peanut butter layers mingle a bit, don’t worry; it still tastes great. Just take care not to bring up pieces of the shortbread, because it will make your final product look messy.
7. Prepare the top layer. Break the chocolate into pieces and melt it along with the Dark Chocolate Dreams peanut butter in a saucepan over low heat. Pour and spread it over the caramel mixture. Once set, cut the caramel shortbread into pieces. These pieces can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
In this recipe Jessie turns millionaire’s shortbread into billionaire’s shortbread by adding peanut butter. She uses regular Smooth Operator peanut butter swirled with caramel for one of the layers. Which other Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter flavor would you use in this recipe?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe!
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, December 10, 2012 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 12/13/12 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator ($6 value). Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.