PB&J Ice Cream Sandwiches
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Yield: 6 cookie sandwiches
Peanut Butter Cookies (makes 1 dozen)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
1 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
1 stick butter, room temperature
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1. Heat oven to 350°F.
2. In the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the Smooth Operator peanut butter, mix to combine. Add egg and vanilla, and mix until well combined.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and nutmeg together. Add to the butter mixture, and mix to combine.
4. Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of dough, roll into a ball, place on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough. Press down with tines of a fork, in a criss cross pattern.
5. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool. Place in freezer. (Cookies can be stored in an airtight container up to one week.)
Jelly Ice Cream (makes 1 quart)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hrs and 20 min (includes 3-hour freezing time)
Total time: 3 hours and 30 minutes
1 cup milk
3/4 cups sugar
1/2 vanilla bean
4 egg yolks
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup grape jelly
1. Split open and scrape the seeds of the vanilla bean into the sugar and, using your fingers, mix the vanilla seeds into the sugar. Heat the milk, salt, and sugar in a saucepan.
2. Stir together the egg yolks in a bowl and add some of the warmed milk, about half a cup, whisking constantly as you pour. Pour the warmed yolks back into the saucepan.
3. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly and scraping the bottom of the pot until the custard thickens enough to coat a spatula. Using a fine sieve or cheese cloth, strain the custard into the heavy cream. Chill thoroughly, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturers instructions. After about 10 minutes in the ice cream maker, add the grape jelly.
4. To assemble your ice cream sandwiches, remove cookies from freezer, place dollop of ice cream in the center of one cookie, top with another. Repeat with remaining cookies. Place in freezer for half an hour to firm up. Enjoy!