Oat and White Chocolate Peanut Butter Scones
There’s just something about waking up to a breakfast of freshly baked scones. Inspired by a recipe that my Mom used to make for me and my brothers, these Oat and White Chocolate Peanut Butter Scones are light and flaky and make any morning worth getting out of bed for.
Flaky layers are filled with dried cranberries, thick rolled oats, and smooth creamy white chocolate peanut butter to provide a unique and tasty meal. Easily made in advance, these scones can be rolled out, cut, and frozen and then baked fresh for a great breakfast even during your busy work week.
- Yield:12 Scones
- Prep Time:25 minutes
- Cook Time:20 minutes
- Total Time:45 minutes
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup boiling water
3 cups pastry flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup cold butter
1 egg separated
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup half and half
1. Soak the dried cranberries in the boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain any remaining water and set cranberries aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cream of tartar. Using a pastry blender or two butter knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles large peas.
3. In a separate medium bowl, combine the Peanut Butter & Co. White Chocolate Wonderful, egg yolk, sour cream and half and half, stirring until all ingredients are smooth.
4. Add the peanut butter mixture to the flour and stir to combine. Add in the cranberries and rolled oats. Dump mixture onto lightly floured surface and knead 6-8 times, bringing all ingredients together into a ball.
5. Divide the dough in half and shape into balls. Flatten each ball to a 6-inch circle and cut into 6 wedges. Place wedges on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
6. Beat egg white until foamy. Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the scones and then sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 400˚F for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
This recipe is one of six recipes developed by noted food bloggers for the Peanut Butter & Co. and Bob’s Red Mill Nuts About Oats Recipe Contest. The recipes were created using Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter and Bob’s Red Mill® Extra Thick Rolled Oats. The contest was a part of our 2012 yearlong initiative “Build a Better Breakfast with Peanut Butter.”