Curried Peanut Butter Baked Beans
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
One bite and you’ll never want to eat traditional canned baked beans in your life again. Vegans and vegetarians can enjoy this deeply satisfying dish too. Full of protein, carbohydrates, calcium and iron, this dish is suitable to eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3.5 hours
Total time: 4 hours
Yield: 4-6 servings
About 6 ounces/180g navy beans
1 onion, finely chopped
¼ cup/60ml vegetable or peanut oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tablespoon/15ml curry powder
1 (14-ounce) can/400g chopped tomatoes
4 tablespoons/60ml Smooth Operator peanut butter
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Soak the beans overnight in plenty of water. Drain.
2. Put the beans in a pot with 3 ½ cups/875ml of water and bring to a boil, skimming off the foam that rises to the top. Cover partially, turn the heat down to medium-low, and simmer gently for 40-60 minutes until the beans are just tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 1-2 minutes until the onion has softened, stirring almost constantly to ensure it doesn’t burn.
4. Preheat the oven to 325°F/165°C (fan 285°F/140°C).
5. Add the garlic, stir, and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add the curry powder and tomatoes and mix thoroughly.
7. Add the peanut butter to the mixture. Peanut butter has a way of thickening liquids so add 1 cup/250ml water (or the beans cooking liquid if you will) to the pot to thin the sauce a bit.
8. Cook for 10 minutes then transfer the sauce together with the drained beans to an ovenproof casserole.
9. Bake, uncovered, for 1.5-2 hours until the beans are very tender.
Serve on a slice of toast or plain boiled rice.
You can use other variety of beans instead of haricot, e.g. black-eyed peas, lima beans or red kidney beans.
If you find the sauce of the beans a bit thick after cooking, add a bit of water at a time until you get the desired consistency.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Michelle suggests serving these beans on toast. How else would you eat them?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, August 25, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 08/28/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.