Crunchy Peanut Butter-Stuffed Blackout Cookies
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Blackout cookies have a texture that’s between a brownie and a cake, making them a unique and sumptuous treat. But when you stuff them with Crunch Time peanut butter, these moist, fudgy cookies become more decadent than ever! The key is to freeze small mounds of Crunch Time, then stuff them inside rolled balls of cookie dough. It’s a bit time consuming, but the end results are worth every minute. Fluffy, rich, and oozing with gooey peanut butter, these cookies are a guaranteed show-stopper.
Prep time: 20 minutes + 15 minutes to chill the dough
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 10-12 cookies
1/2 cup Crunch Time peanut butter (approx.)
4 tbsps salted butter
4 oz semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup + 2 tbsps all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar
2 tsps vanilla
a pinch of salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
shortening to grease
parchment paper for freezing
- 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a teaspoon to spoon small rounds of Crunch Time peanut butter onto the parchment-lined baking sheet, making a total of 12 rounds. Place in the freezer until needed.
- 2. In a small saucepan melt the butter over a medium-low flame, then whisk in the semi-sweet chocolate until smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda, whisking gently to combine.
- 4. Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer beat the eggs, dark brown sugar, vanilla, and salt on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 – 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add the cooled chocolate until combined. Lastly reduce speed to low, then slowly add in the flour mixture until the dough takes shape – It will be very wet, don’t worry! Stir in the chocolate chips, then cover dough and chill in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- 5. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Amply grease a baking sheet with shortening.
- 6. Using damp hands roll the cookie dough into balls roughly 2” in size. Flatten, then place a frozen round of Crunch Time peanut butter in the center. Again, use your hands to roll the cookie dough around the peanut butter until it’s completely covered, then transfer to the greased baking sheet. Repeat until all ingredients have been used.
- 7. When ready, bake on oven middle rack for 15 minutes until the cookies are just beginning to set. Cool completely, then eat!