Caramelized Onion, Gruyere, Bacon and Peanut Butter Burgers
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Have you ever had a peanut butter burger? Basically it is a burger slathered with peanut butter instead of cheese and other toppings. I grew up eating these burgers at a local restaurant named Bearden’s in the town where I grew up, in Rocky River, Ohio. Seriously, it is one of the best burgers out there and if you live anywhere near Rocky River, you have to check it out!
I now live in Colorado, but I make peanut butter burgers at home all the time. My idea for this burger was one-upping the originally peanut butter burger. And by one-upping I mean adding the ultimate burger toppings. Beer caramelized onions, Gruyere cheese and bacon!! Yes, and then you top it all off with a heavy drizzle of peanut butter! It is insane and delicious!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 4 burgers
1 tablespoon butter
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
1 cup beer (I used pumpkin beer)
1 pound ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
¾ cup Smooth Operator peanut butter, warmed in the microwave for 30 seconds
4 ounces Gruyere cheese, sliced
8 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked to your liking
4 whole-wheat buns, toasted
1 cup arugula (optional)
1. Heat large skillet. Add 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook about 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
2. At this point you want to slowly add the beer, let it cook into the onions, add more and let it cook. Do this until the 1 cup of beer is gone or the onions are caramelized to your liking and the beer has evaporated. Keep warm.
3. While the onions are caramelizing add the ground beef to a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
4. About 10 to 15 minutes before the onions are ready form the beef into 4 equal patties and grill (or you can fry them in a skillet as well) until they reach your desired doneness. I cook mine about 4 minutes per side, but it will depend on how thick you like your burgers. In the last 1-2 minutes of cooking, top each burger with a few slices of Gruyere cheese. Allow the cheese to melt and then remove from the grill.
5. To assemble the burgers warm the peanut butter in the microwave for 30 seconds. Place the burger on a bun and top each burger with caramelized onions. Drizzle a generous amount of the warmed peanut butter over top. Finally, top each burger with two slices of crispy bacon and some arugula if desired. Go to town!
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other burger toppings would you add to this peanut butter burger?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, September 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 09/4/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Caramelized Onion, Gruyere, Bacon and Peanut Butter Burgers appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.