Caramelized Apple & Crunchy Peanut Butter Sandwiches
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
As a child growing up in South Africa, I used to read American Archie comics with total fascination. The things the characters talked about always seemed so exotic to me – even simple things like root beer and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I had not yet learned that jelly was the American version of our jam – and besides, we always ate our peanut butter sandwiches with golden syrup! These sandwiches still give you the caramelized syrup to go with your peanut butter, but also add a deliciously healthy twist with apple slices. This makes a great weekend breakfast treat!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
Yield: 2 sandwiches
1 large sweet apple (Braeburn is good)
1 tablespoon butter
2 tablespoons soft brown sugar
4 slices good quality whole-wheat bread
4 tablespoons Old-Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter
1. Wash and core the apple, then slice into about half an inch/.5cm thick slices (no need to peel). Heat the sugar and butter together in a frying pan over medium heat until the sugar has melted and the mixture is bubbling. Add the apple slices and fry until the one side is golden and caramelized, then turn them over and fry until the other side looks the same.
2. While the apples are caramelizing, take four slices of bread and spread each slice with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. Once the apple slices are caramelized to your taste, place half the apple slices on one slice and half on another. Drizzle the remaining caramel from the pan over the slices. Close the sandwiches with the remaining slices and serve immediately.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Besides in a sandwich, how else would you use these caramelized apples?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Crunch Time, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, August 18, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 08/21/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Crunch Time peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Caramelized Apple & Crunchy Peanut Butter Sandwiches appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.