Brown Butter Peanut Butter Cookies
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Classic peanut butter cookies are a favorite treat everyone loves, but adding browned butter makes them more spectacular than ever! Browning the butter adds a small extra step, but it’s an easy one to master. Not to mention, brown butter adds tremendous flavor and aroma to every bite, enhancing the peanut butters natural taste into something purely decadent. This is a fun spin on traditional peanut butter cookies, so shake up your baking routine and give them a shot!
Prep time: 40 minutes + 1 hour to chill the dough
Cook time: 8-10 minutes
Total time: about 2 hours
Yield: 20-24 cookies
1 cup unsalted butter, sliced
2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
shortening to grease
- 1. Begin by browning the butter. In a small saucepan melt the butter over a medium flame. Once melted, immediately begin whisking as the butter begins to foam and bubble. After about 5 minutes you should see brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. When you do, whisk for 30 seconds more over heat, then remove from flame and whisk continuously, 1 minute, until the butter is browned and amber in color. Transfer to a large mixing bowl, then chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to solidify.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, whisking gently to combine.
- 3. Once the butter is solidified, cream the butter and sugars with an electric hand mixer on medium-speed until smooth. Next beat in the eggs (again on medium speed), until fluffy, about 1 minute. Lastly add the Smooth Operator peanut butter and vanilla, beating on high until thoroughly combined.
- 4. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring until the dough takes shape. Cover the mixing bowl and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- 5. Pre-heat oven to 350°F. Amply grease several cookie sheets with shortening.
- 6. Roll the cookie dough into golf ball-sized rounds, then flatten with a fork to create a crisscross pattern on the face of each round. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes on oven middle rack until the cookies are just beginning to set – I prefer mine at 8 minutes, but if you like your cookies more well done, bake for closer to 10. Cool to room temperature, then eat!