White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter Yule Log Cake
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Yule Log cakes are a classic Christmas dessert that’s as beautiful to showcase as it is fun to eat. This variation marries traditional chocolate sponge cake with a White Chocolate Wonderful mousse filling to create a stunning holiday treat bursting with sweet, salty, peanut butter flavor. A great recipe for bakers who like a challenge, don’t forget to be creative with your decorating! Style your cake by mimicking a log in snow (powdered sugar) surrounded by fresh garland (rosemary) and berries (cranberry) for a festive and imaginative touch everyone will adore.
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes + cooling
Total time: about 2 hours
Yield: 8-10 servings
5 large eggs
1/2 cup cake flour, sifted
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sugar, divided
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
shortening to grease
1 cup White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter
1 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 jar store-bought chocolate icing (16 oz)
- 1. To begin, amply grease a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with shortening, then line with parchment paper before greasing the paper itself. Separate the eggs into two separate bowls – one for the yolks, one for the whites – then let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, combine the cake flour, cocoa powder, and salt, whisking well.
- 3. Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- 4. When ready, in a large mixing bowl beat the egg yolks with an electric hand mixer on medium-high speed until they are light and fluffy. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating for several minutes until thick and lemon-colored. Next, slowly add the flour mixture to the yolks, blending at medium-low speed until well mixed.
- 5. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Add the cream of tartar, then beat until soft peaks form. Lastly add the remaining sugar, one tablespoon at a time, blending at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form.
- 6. Stir a fourth of the eggs whites into the chocolate flour mixture, combining well. Gently fold the remaining egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
- 7. Evenly spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes until the cake springs back, then remove from oven. Cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto another sheet of parchment paper that’s been heavily dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off the original parchment paper, then roll up into a log, starting with the shorter side. Place on a wire rack until completely cool.
- 8. Once the cake is cooled (but still rolled up), prepare the filling. Soften the White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter in the microwave for about 20 seconds, then set aside. Next, in another mixing bowl beat the whipping cream on medium-high speed until it begins to thicken. Add the peanut butter and sugar, the continue to beat until well mixed into a mousse.
- 9. Gently unroll the cooled cake, then spread the peanut butter mousse to within 1/2” of the cakes edges. Re-roll up the cake like you did before, with the seam side facing down. Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- 10. Finally, decorate the cake! Spread the frosting along the top and sides of your log (leave the ends exposed), then run a fork across the frosting to create ridges. Top with powdered sugar, rosemary, and cranberries, then eat!
The post White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter Yule Log Cake appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.