Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Cream Cheese Hand Pies
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Raise your hand if you love pie! How about a pie that fits perfectly in your hand? You’ve seen little apple pies, cherry pies, and peach pies I’m sure. What I bet you haven’t seen yet are chocolate hand pies. These little beauties are just as tasty as they are pretty! The sanding sugar is the perfect ‘icing on the cake’… or ‘sugar on the pie’ I should say. With a wonderful peanut butter cream cheese filling inside these are a great new dessert option that is easy to make (thanks to your food processor) and yummy to eat.
Prep time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
Yield: 12 pies
For the pie dough:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 c. dark chocolate cocoa powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 tablespoons ice water
For the filling:
1/4 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Smooth Operator Peanut Butter
1 ounce cream cheese, at room temperature
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water
For the garnish:
1/4 cup sanding sugar
- 1. To make pie dough, add flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt to bowl of food processor; pulse to combine dry ingredients. Add butter to flour mixture; process again in short bursts until butter is well-dispersed.
- 2. Add egg and process again in short bursts until combined. Add cold water and pulse until mixture forms a ball on one side of food processor bowl. Divide dough in half and shape each half into a disk. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
- 3. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cover large baking sheet with parchment paper. In small bowl, combine peanut butter & cream cheese; mix until smooth.
- 4. Roll out pie dough on lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thickness; cut out 24 circles, about 2-inch in diameter.
- 5. Place about 1 teaspoon peanut butter filling on 12 circles. Top each with another circle. Brush egg mixture around edges of circles.
- 9. Crimp edges with tines of a fork to seal. Brush tops of pies with remaining egg wash and top each with sanding sugar. Bake 18 minutes.
- 7. Enjoy!