Chocolate, Peanut Butter & Banana Cream Pie
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
1 1/3 cups chocolate or graham crumbs
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Dreams or White Chocolate Wonderful Peanut Butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1-2 large bananas
1-2 cups heavy (whipping) cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
chopped peanuts or chocolate curls (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, stir together the crumbs and melted butter until well blended. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 8-10 minutes, until firm (and pale golden around the edges, if you’re using graham crumbs). Set aside to cool.
2. In a small saucepan or microwave-safe bowl or measuring cup, melt the peanut butter, chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon butter on low heat, stirring until melted and smooth. Spread gently over the cooled crust and refrigerate until firm.
3. Meanwhile, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the egg yolks, then the milk and place over medium heat. Cook, whisking often, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Once it has bubbled for a full minute, remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and vanilla. Stir until the butter melts and the mixture is smooth. Set aside to cool slightly, but not so much that it firms up.
4. Peel the banana(s) and slice them about 1/2-inch thick on a slight diagonal. Place them in a single layer over the peanut butter-chocolate mixture, and pour the warm pudding over top. If you like, place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface to prevent a skin from forming, and refrigerate until set.
5. Whip the heavy cream and powdered sugar on high speed with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form; spread over top of the chilled pie. Top with chopped peanuts or chocolate curls, if you like. Serve immediately.