I love baking bread. In fact, I bake bread at least once every other week. I love how it fills my house with that familiar bakery aroma and it amazes me every time how such simple ingredients, when working together, can create something so tasty. This version combines onions and herbs with spicy peanut butter which pairs perfectly with grilled cheese or fried egg sandwiches, as it does simply toasted and smeared with butter or some Old Fashioned Smooth Peanut Butter.
Prep time: 20 minutes plus 2 ½ hours rising time
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
1 cup warm water
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 ½ teaspoons dry active yeast
2 ½ cups whole wheat bread flour, divided
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons dried thyme
½ of an onion, finely chopped or minced
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or minced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup The Heat Is On peanut butter
1. Dissolve the brown sugar in the warm water and add the yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes to proof.
2. In the bowl of a stand mixer with the dough hook attached, place 1 cup of flour, salt, and thyme. Stir on low just to incorporate. Add to it the onion, garlic, and cilantro, stir until combined..
3. While the mixer is on speed 2, slowly pour in the yeast mixture and the peanut butter. Mix for another minute, scraping down the sides if necessary.
4. Keeping the mixer on, add the remaining 1 ½ cups flour in ½ cup intervals. By the last ½ cup the dough should start to come away from the sides and cling to the dough hook. Keep kneading for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Remove the dough and place into a greased bowl. Cover with a clean towel and let rise for about 1 to 2 hours or until it reaches about double the size.
6. Once the dough has risen, gently push the air out, while at the same time forming a rectangle that’s about 6 inches wide by 8-10 inches long. Working on the shorter side of the rectangle, roll up, pinching in the crease as you go. Pinch the final seem closed and place seam-side down in greased loaf pan. The ends of the loaf should touch the ends of the pan. Cover with a clean towel and allow to rise in a warm area for 1 hour.
7. Preheat oven to 325˚F, placing oven rack in the middle of the oven.
8. Place the bread in the very middle and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is browned and the bread sounds hollow when thumped on the bottom.
9. Remove from the oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.