Stop! Hamantaschen time. This is a popular treat at Purim, a Jewish holiday commemorated on March 16 this year, but it tastes so good it should be made all year round! Inspired by the look of a tricorner hat, these chapeau-shaped cookies are folded over the top to reveal the filling enclosed within. Although fillings such as apricot, poppyseed, or prune are most traditional, they work beautifully with peanut butter (I favor the gentle honey-kissed flavor of The Bee’s Knees) and, if you like, with jelly too. While they might resemble a danish, one bite will tell you they’re really all cookie: falling somewhere between crumbly on the edges and delectably chewy where the filling meets the dough. This is an adaptation of a recipe for traditional Hamantaschen I found on the website, Cupcake Project.
Prep time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: 24-36 cookies, depending on size
3 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ cup sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, room temperature
1 jar Bee’s Knees peanut butter
1 jar Seriously Strawberry Jam (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter, mix in the butter and eggs.
2. Divide the dough and form into two flattened disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
3. At the end of the chilling time, preheat the oven to 400°F and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper; set to the side.
4. Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thick.
5. Use approximately 3-inch cookie cutters or the rim of a glass to cut out circles. Gather and re-roll the scraps until you’ve used all of the dough.
6. Set each round on the cookie sheet with about 1 inch around on all sides.
7. Place about 1 tablespoon of The Bee’s Knees in the center of each round of dough. Be sure to leave space on all sides. I found it was also helpful to lightly flatten the dollop of peanut butter using the back of a spoon (it makes folding the dough easier in a couple of steps).
8. Add a dollop of jelly on top, if you’d like to make a PB&J version.
9. Fold the dough once on the left, once on the right, and once from the bottom up–and you will have a triangle. Magic! Make sure the dough is not merely pinched together, but actually overlaps (this will keep it stay sealed during baking). To ensure that a seal is made, lightly wet your fingers while folding over the dough.
10. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until just golden around the edges. Let cool on the sheets for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Jessie uses The Bee’s Knees and strawberry jam PB&G combo in these Hamantaschen cookies. What other Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter combos do you think would be tasty inside these treats?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of The Bee’s Knees peanut butter and Seriously Strawberry Jam.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, March 17, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 03/20/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of The Bee’s Knees peanut butter and one jar of Seriously Strawberry Jam. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
SEARCH FOR A RECIPE
- Peanut Butter Chicken Chili
- Peanut Butter & Oat Carrot Cake Breakfast Pudding with Candied Oats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Pots de Crème
- Peanut Butter, White Chocolate, & Apricot Tartlets
- Chipotle Sweet Potato & Peanut Butter Wrap
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Baked Yogurt Parfait
- Peanut Butter Tempeh Kebabs
- Spicy Peanut Butter Noodles with Ground Beef
- Banana-Hemp PB Smoothie and Chocolate-Covered Strawberry PB Breakfast Shake
- Spicy Peanut Butter Onion & Herb Bread
- 31 Days of Dark Chocolate Dreams
- Alejandra Ramos
- Amelia Winslow
- Amie Valpone
- Amy Green
- Annalise Sandberg
- Beth Baumgartner
- Brandi Evans
- Caroline Wright
- Caroline Yoder
- Christine Fischer
- Elisa Strauss
- Erin D.
- Evan Thomas
- Faith Gorsky
- Hannah Queen
- Helen Graves
- Irvin Lin
- Isabelle Boucher
- Jacqui Scoggin
- Jeanne Horak
- Jennifer Dempsey
- Jennifer Orcutt
- Jessie Oleson
- Julie Van Rosendaal
- Katie Bryson
- Kayle Blogna
- Kelsey Banfield
- Kris Schoels
- Lauren Zembron
- Lizzie Mabbot
- Lori Twitchell
- Marc Matsumoto
- Margaret Darazs
- Matt Weber
- Michelle Minnaar
- Pamela Reed
- Sally McKenney
- Sanura Weathers
- Stephanie Eddy
- Tieghan Gerard
- Tina Haupert
- Valerie Harrison
- Appetizer, Breakfast, Brunch, Cake, Chicken, Chocolate, Cookies, Crunch Time, dairy-free, Dark Chocolate Dreams, Dessert, Dinner, Frosting, Gluten-free, healthy, knockout peanut butter smoothie sweepstakes, liveamazing, Lunch, Mighty Maple, Old Fashioned Crunchy, Old Fashioned Smooth, Peanut butter, Peanut Butter & Co., recipe, Sandwich, Savory, Side dish, smoothies, Smooth Operator, Snack, Spicy, Summer, Sweet, Sweets, Thanksgiving, The Bee's Knees, The Heat is On, Treats, Vegan, Vegetables, Vegetarian, video recipe, videos, White Chocolate Wonderful, youtube