VIDEO RECIPE: Spicy Peanut Butter Black Bean Burger
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
These veggie burgers get a dose of protein from both the black beans and The Heat Is On peanut butter pureed into the patty mixture. Mixed with mashed sweet potato and an assortment of spices, these southwestern-style burgers have lots of flavor and pair wonderfully with avocado, chipotle mayo, and even salsa!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: about 8-10 Burgers
2 (15.5-ounce) cans low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
⅓ cup The Heat Is On peanut butter
½ red onion, coarsely chopped
3 large garlic cloves
1 cup cooked and cooled mashed sweet potato
⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup finely chopped cilantro
1 large egg, slightly beaten
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
For serving: whole grain burger buns, red onion slices, avocado slices, lettuce
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place half the black beans, peanut butter, onion, and garlic in a food processor and puree until smooth.
3. Remove from food processor and mix in a large bowl with sweet potato, cornmeal, cilantro, egg, spices, salt, and pepper and mix well until evenly combined. (Mixture will be wet.)
4. Stir in the remaining black beans.
5. Use an ice cream scoop to place the batter onto the prepared baking sheet (about 8 burgers per sheet), and press slightly with hands to form burger-shaped patties. Flatten patties with back of spoon.
6. Bake 20 minutes, then use a spatula to gently flip and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes or until golden and crisp around the edges.
7. Let cool on the pan for 5 minutes before serving.
8. Serve in buns with chipotle mayo, red onions, avocado slices, tomato, and lettuce.
The post VIDEO RECIPE: Spicy Peanut Butter Black Bean Burger appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.