Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Peanut Butter Frosting and Filling
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Prep time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total time: 2H minutes
Yield: 24 cupcakes
For the cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
4 large eggs
2 cups canned sweet potato pie filling
1/3 cup milk
1 cup Mighty Maple peanut butter
For the frosting
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, softened
4 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon Mighty Maple peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Line two cupcake pans with liners (24 cupcakes).
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and spices; set aside.
3. Cream the butter with sugars until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula with each addition and mixing well. Beat in the vanilla and sweet potato until blended.
4. Stir the dry ingredients into the batter in 2-3 increments, alternating with the milk, until blended.
5. Spoon the batter into prepared cupcake tins. These cupcakes will not raise a whole lot, so you can fill them almost to the top.
6. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Cool in the pan until they have reached room temperature.
8. Once cool, use an apple corer or use a knife to cut a small hole in the center of each cupcake, leaving ½ inch cake at the bottom of the cup (this hole will be where you put the filling). Reserve the “cored” pieces of cake, but set to the side.
9. Spoon about 2 teaspoons of Mighty Maple peanut butter into each cupcake. Then, re-insert the removed piece of cake. You should be able to just “smoosh” it right on top of the peanut butter.
10. Time to make the frosting. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and Mighty Maple peanut butter for 3 to 5 minutes, until smooth. Stir in the vanilla. Add the confectioners’ sugar, cup by cup, until your desired spreading consistency has been reached. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed with a rubber spatula. If the frosting becomes too stiff, stir in a small quantity of milk to thin. Frost the tops of the cupcakes, and garnish with cinnamon (if desired).
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other recipes with this sweet potato/peanut butter combination do you think would taste delicious?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Mighty Maple, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, September 2 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 09/05/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Mighty Maple. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Peanut Butter Frosting and Filling appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.