Spicy Lemon Peanut Cookies with The Heat Is On Peanut Butter
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Using peanut butter as a substitute is faster shortcut. But these aren’t your usual peanut cookies. Updated with the use of The Heat is On peanut butter, and a touch of lemon zest, these cookies will give you a kick into the new year, with their fiery red heat; perfect as red is the color of happiness and good luck.
These little cookies pack a wallop of red heat that grows after you eat it. The lemon citrus is subtle in the finish but there. If you want to dilute the heat a bit, try using 3/4; cup The Heat is On and 3/4 cup Smooth Operator in place of 1 1/2 cup The Heat is On.
Yield: 45 cookies
1 1/2 cups The Heat Is On peanut butter
1 cup white granulated sugar
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons lemon zest (1 medium lemon)
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cooking oil (peanut if you have it but any neutral flavored one will do)
1 egg for egg wash
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a baking sheet with a silpat or parchment paper.
2. Place The Heat is On Peanut Butter, sugar, flour, lemon zest and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on medium speed until the mixture looks likes orange sand and the peanut butter is evenly distributed.
3. Turn down the mixer to low, and slowly add the cooking oil. Then turn the speed up to medium and beat until a smooth dough forms.
4. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of dough and roll them into a ball (it should be
1 inch in diameter). Place on the lined baking sheet evenly spacing the cookies apart by an inch. Once the baking sheet is full, press the pointy end of frosting star tip in the center of the cookie for a decorative indention. If you don’t have a frosting tip large enough, you can also press the tip of a chopstick into the cookie for a decorative indention.
5. Beat the egg with 1 tablespoon of water until the egg wash is foaming and you can’t see any more egg white. Then brush each cookie with the egg wash. Place in oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until the cookie starts to crack a bit on top and the sides start to brown a bit. Take out of the oven and let them cool on the sheet for 10 minutes. The cookies will be delicate, but will firm up as they cool. Move to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
The post Spicy Lemon Peanut Cookies with The Heat Is On Peanut Butter appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.