Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Garlic Peanut Butter Spread
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Peanut butter in a roasted vegetable sandwich might not seem like the most obvious combination, but that’s just because you haven’t tasted it yet. Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter is made into a tangy, garlicky peanut spread that melts over the warm roasted veggies and transforms them into a hearty meal. It’s served on chewy, crusty ciabatta bread to help soak up the juices and provide safe and sturdy transport directly to your mouth.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 hearty sandwiches
For the filling
1 large eggplant
2 small zucchinis
2 medium tomatoes
1/2 a medium onion
1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
For the peanut spread
1/2 cup Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 teaspoons soy sauce
4 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons water
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 large loaf of ciabatta bread
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Slice the eggplant into 1/2 inch thick rounds.
2. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with half of the salt and set aside while you slice the remaining veggies. This will help draw out the extra moisture so that they will roast up nicely.
3. Slice zucchini into 1/4 inch rounds, slice the onion, and cut the tomatoes into wedges. Toss them with one tablespoon of the oil and sprinkle with the thyme. Then pour the remaining oil into a 9 x 15-inch glass or ceramic baking pan and spread it evenly across the bottom. Take the eggplant slices and press each side into the thin layer of oil one by one. Eggplant is prone to soaking up oil so this helps coat them evenly. Layer the eggplant slices with the other veggies and sprinkle with the remaining salt.
4. Roast the vegetables at 425°F for 20 minutes. Then, use a spatula to flip them over and roast for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are soft but still holding their shape. Remove from the oven and allow the pan to cool on a wire rack while you make the peanut spread.
5. Stir together the Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, and water. Sprinkle the minced garlic and red pepper flakes on top and stir to combine. Slice the ciabatta loaf in half horizontally and spread the peanut sauce across the top and the bottom halves.
6. Layer the roasted veggies onto the bread. Don’t be afraid to stack them high!
7. Top with the other slice of bread then cut the large loaf into 4 quarters to serve as 4 sandwiches. Squish, bite down, and enjoy!
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other foods would you eat this garlic peanut butter spread with?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, September 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 10/02/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one jar of Old Fashioned Crunchy peanut butter. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.
The post Roasted Vegetable Sandwich with Garlic Peanut Butter Spread appeared first on - Peanut Butter & Co. Recipe Blog.