Peanut Butter Eggnog
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
And this year, peanut butter is coming to the party. White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter, that is, which takes eggnog from celebratory to sinfully (but oh so delightfully) indulgent.
Traditional eggnog is characterized by its use of raw egg yolks, but this version is worry-free in that the yolks (the part prone to bacteria) are lightly cooked. Heating the milk and cream along with the peanut butter allows for the peanut butter to melt into the mixture and impart its flavor, and reaching a temperature of 160°F once the eggs are added will ensure that there is no worry of unwanted bacteria. It may not be as dangerous, but it’s still mighty delicious.
As for the alcohol which is commonly added to eggnog, it’s up to you if you add or abstain.
Even “virgin,” this beverage is like drinking melted ice cream, in a very good way; if you choose to add bourbon or another alcohol, you’ve got a downright tipsy pleasure.
Spice note: while typically nutmeg is the spice of choice for eggnog, I found that pumpkin spice gave it a wonderfully well-rounded taste, and it worked terrifically with the peanut butter. Feel free to substitute an equal quantity of freshly grated nutmeg for the pumpkin pie spice listed.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
3 cups whole milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1/3 cup bourbon, or to taste (if desired)
1. Divide the eggs, placing the yolks and whites in separate bowls.
2. Either by hand or in the bowl of a stand mixer using the whisk attachment, beat the egg yolks until they turn light in color, 2 to 3 minutes on low-medium speed (longer by hand). You’ll know it’s happened when you look at the mixture and say to yourself, “gosh, that looks a shade or two lighter.” Add the 1/4 cup sugar, and beat until it has completely dissolved into the egg mixture. It will thicken once the sugar is absorbed. Set this mixture to the side for the moment.
3. Combine the milk, heavy cream, White Chocolate Wonderful, and spices in a medium saucepan. Bring to a low boil over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally to keep the mixture from scorching. Once it comes to a low boil, remove from heat. Let it cool for a couple of minutes so it is still quite warm but no longer bubbling. Now, you’re going to combine the egg yolk mixture into the milk mixture. Don’t panic, but you’ll have to move quickly once you start to pour. I suggest having one hand in the milk mixture with a whisk, so that you can start to whisk right away while the other hand pours.
4. Pour the egg mixture into the milk mixture, whisking like heck (but not so hard that you make the liquid fly) so that it is combined and you don’t end up with scrambled eggs. Once mixed, take a deep breath. That was the hardest part!
5. Now, return the pan to medium-low heat. Once it reaches 160°F, you can remove it from heat. Stir in the bourbon if using, and pour into a heatproof bowl. Set in the refrigerator to chill for an hour, or until thoroughly chilled.
6. Near the end of your chilling period, using a stand mixer with the whisk attachment or by hand, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Once soft peaks have formed, add the remaining tablespoon of sugar.
7. Once thoroughly combined (you’re still working with soft peaks here), you can whisk this egg white mixture into the chilled mixture. It will look lumpy for a minute but as you whisk it will smooth out.
8. You’re ready to serve it now. Ladle into cups, and if desired, garnish with more spice. Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
Peanut butter is traditionally not an ingredient used in eggnog. What other drinks would you consider adding peanut butter to that wouldn’t normally have it?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of White Chocolate Wonderful, the peanut butter used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, January 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 1/9/14 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of White Chocolate Wonderful. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.