Peanut Butter Apple Upside Down Cake
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
The apples sit in a pool of homemade caramel as the peanut butter cake bakes on top. Once the cake is done, invert it on a large serving plate to reveal the gorgeous sliced apples on top, decorated with lots of crunchy peanuts. Grab your glass of milk because you will need it after one bite of this rich decadent cake!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45-50 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 5 minutes
Yield: 8-10 servings
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, separated
2/3 cup dark brown sugar and 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, separated
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, separated
2 medium apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/3 cup Peanut Butter & Co. Golden Roasted peanuts
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons milk
1. Generously coat a 9-inch pie dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Make sure your apples are sliced and ready to go.
2. In a small saucepan, melt 1 stick of butter on low heat. When it begins to bubble, stir in 2/3 cup dark brown sugar. Continue to stir until smooth. Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stirring constantly, leave on heat for about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 1 minute. Pour into prepared baking dish and layer with sliced apples. Sprinkle with roasted peanuts. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 325°F degrees.
4. Gently mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
5. In a large bowl, cream together the peanut butter, 1/2 stick of butter, and 3/4 cup of brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Slowly beat in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the milk by hand. Do not overmix. Pour the batter over the top of the apples in the prepared baking pan.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for exactly ten minutes before inverting onto a large serving dish.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature.
*You may also bake in an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking pan at the same baking time & oven temperature.
*Garnish with additional peanuts, if desired.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
What other desserts would you consider using the rich, decadent peanut butter cake portion of this recipe for?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar of Smooth Operator peanut butter and a can of Golden Roasted Peanuts, the Peanut Butter & Co. products used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, August 5 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 08/8/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of Smooth Operator and one can of Golden Roasted Peanuts. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.