Heart Shaped Peanut Butter & Jelly Roll
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
Prep time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total time: 2 hours and 35 minutes
Yield: 10 servings
For the cake
1 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 eggs, separated
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting work surface and cake
For the filling
1 jar (12 ounces) strawberry jam
1 jar (16 ounces) White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a greased 15” x 10” x 1” baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together; set aside.
3. Place the egg whites in large bowl. Set aside for the moment.
4. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and water on high speed for 5 minutes or until thick, and lightened in color. Gradually beat in 1 cup of the granulated sugar. Mix well.
5. Gradually add the flour mixture to the yolk mixture and mix well. The batter will be very thick.
6. In a large bowl with clean beaters, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high speed, until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold into the rest of the batter. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
7. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off the waxed paper. Starting from either of the shorter sides, roll the cake toward the center, so that each end rolls once, inward, to form a heart. I won’t lie: this part is easier to do with a partner, each of you rolling from either side. If you don’t have a towel handy, you can do this with parchment or waxed paper, too.
8. You have to let it set like this for a while. You’ll want to set something heavy on either side so it will stay in this shape. Perhaps…an army of Peanut Butter & Co. jars? If not, books will do. Let cool completely like this–2 hours or so. You need to do this so the cake “stretches”–if you let it cool then tried to roll it, it would crack.
9. While the cake cools, prepare the peanut butter filling. In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter with the butter until it is very smooth and creamy, 3 to 5 minutes on medium speed. Reduce the speed to low; add the confectioners’ sugar gradually, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
10. Unroll cake; spread evenly with jelly, and the peanut butter mixture on top. Roll back up into a heart; dust with confectioners’ sugar, if desired, before slicing and serving.
PEANUT BUTTER GIVEAWAY
CakeSpy combines White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter with strawberry jam. What favorite Peanut Butter & Co. peanut butter jelly combo would you use in this recipe?
Leave a comment below with your answer to enter for a chance at winning a jar each of White Chocolate Wonderful peanut butter and Seriously Strawberry Jam, the jars used in this recipe.
– The giveaway is open to USA residents only and will run until Monday, February 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM EST.
– One entry per person.
– Winner(s) will be generated via a random number generator and notified via the contact email provided on the comment form.
– Winner(s) will have until 02/14/13 to claim their prize or we will choose another winner.
– Winner will win one 16oz jar of White Chocolate Wonderful and one 12oz jar of Seriously Strawberry Jam. Product will be shipped by Peanut Butter & Co.
– No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. Must be 18 years of age to enter. See Official Giveaway Rules.