Boov Cupcakes from DreamWorks’ Movie Home
Note: There is a print link embedded within this post, please visit this post to print it.
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE BOOV CUPCAKES
Cupcakes and Frosting (recipes below)
Peanut Butter Buttercream
Materials and Equipment
Equipment and materials you need for each character and their specific colors:
3 ounces fondant for each (1 ounce for body, 2 ounces for head)
Egg whites or gum glue
Pastry tips: #12 for vest, #3 and #5 for eyes
Small ball tool or sugar shaper
Extruder: with 1/16-inch disc opening
Eyes: White, blue, black
For Captain Smek
Body: Pinkish purple
Vest: Hot pink/gold
Eyelids/Moustache: Dark purple
For the green BOOV
Body: lime green
Recipe for Boov Cupcakes and Buttercream Frosting
This is the most heavenly chocolate cupcake recipe around. It is the most requested chocolate cake recipe at Confetti Cakes, and the perfect treat for any chocoholic. The secret is using the best quality cocoa you can find. Of course, the delicious peanut butter buttercream frosting adds another level of deliciousness to the cupcakes!
Use this recipe as a base for the delightful Boov cupcakes that Elisa created in the video. The Boov are characters from DreamWorks Animation’s movie HOME.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Yield: 24 cupcakes (or three 9-inch round cakes)
For the cupcakes
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter
4 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/3 cups cocoa powder
1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups sour cream
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons pure almond extract
2 1/2 cups strong coffee
For the frosting
2 1/4 cups (1 pound 4 ounces) granulated sugar
1 1/4 cups egg whites
2 cups (4 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/4 cup (2 ounces) pure vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup Smooth Operator peanut butter
For the cupcakes
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Prepare 2 standard muffin tins with paper liners.
3. Brew the strong coffee (approximately 3-4 mugs in a standard coffee maker), using twice the normal amount of coffee. Allow coffee to sit until needed.
4. Cream together butter and sugar until mixture is smooth.
5. Add the eggs two at a time on low speed scraping thoroughly between each addition.
6. Sift together the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
7. Add half the dry ingredients and scrape the bowl.
8. Combine the sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract and add to the batter and mix.
9. Add the remaining dry ingredients and scrape.
10. Gradually pour in strong coffee while mixing on low speed. Scrape bowl and mix until completely combined.
11. Fill each muffin cup half full, and bake for about 15 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool before removing from pans.
For the frosting
1. In the bowl of a standing mixer, thoroughly whisk together sugar and egg whites.
2. Set the bowl over a pot of boiling water. Whisking constantly, heat the mixture until all the sugar crystals have dissolved and the mixture is hot. Get it as hot as you can but be careful not to cook the eggs.
3. Put the bowl back in the mixer fitted with a whip attachment. Beat on high speed until the mixture forms a stiff meringue and the bottom comes to room temperature, about 10 minutes.
4. Stop the mixer and replace the whip attachment with the paddle attachment.
5. Set the mixer to low speed and add the butter, a few cubes at a time. When all the butter is incorporated, turn the mixer to medium speed and mix until fluffy.
6. Set the mixer to low speed and add the vanilla. Once the vanilla is incorporated, scrape the bowl and continue to mix on medium speed until you have a smooth, creamy texture. Add the peanut butter and mix until smooth. If the buttercream is too liquid, refrigerate until completely cool and stiff, then rewhip.
7. You can use the buttercream immediately, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or refrigerate it in an airtight container for 10 days.
For more delicious recipes, stunning creations, and tips from noted pastry chef Elisa Strauss check out her two cookbooks: The Confetti Cakes Cookbook: Spectacular Cookies, Cakes, and Cupcakes from New York City’s Famed Bakery and Confetti Cakes for Kids.